torsdag 20 oktober 2016

11 tabletop horror games for Halloween.

Greetings!

As Halloween is fast approaching I thought I would talk a bit about tabletop games that you can play this Halloween. They may not necessarily be inherently Halloween-themed games, but I think they will fill the purpose anyway. :)

So, let's get started! You can click on the heading for each game to get to a site where you can learn more about the game and buy it should you so wish.



The classic horror-themed tabletop role playing game from Chaosium. Comes warmly recommended. :) There are a lot of Cthulhu games out there, other than the classic Call of Cthulhu, so I am sure your gaming group will be able to find one that suits its need. H.P. Lovecraft's mythos is very popular.



Another strong contender is Dread, a tabletop role playing game that takes a slightly different approach to horror in its mechanics.Published by The Impossible Dream, it uses a tower of Jenga bricks, with the players drawing a brick each time they attempt to do something. The player can also refuse to draw, but then automatically fails whatever it was they were attempting to do. If the tower falls, the character dies, which helps add extra tension to the game play.



A horror themed board game from Fantasy Flight Games that I haven't had a chance to play myself but have heard a lot of good things about. Using the H.P. Lovecraft mythos to great effect. It's a game for 1-8 players.



The original Kult tabletop role playing game was a Swedish horror game from the early 90's. It is now getting a new edition courtesy of Swedish game-developer Helmgast (website is in Swedish). I am not sure if this has been released yet, but I wanted to put it in here anyway as I used to really like the old Kult game.



A tabletop role playing game in the survival horror genre from Eden Studios where you fight for your survival in a world where the dead has risen again. Pretty straight forward really.



Noctum is a tabletop role playing game designed by Mischa L Thomas, and released through his company Wicked World Games 1.1 - although some sources claim that Mongoose Publishing has the 3rd edition of this game I have not been able to find anything about it on their website. Either way, while I haven't had a chance to play it myself yet, I do like the look of it and I have only heard people speak positively about it. Read up on it by following the link and if you like it I would suggest getting it. :)



A tabletop role playing game from Evil Hat Productions where you all play as insomniac protagonists with super powers. Just make sure your character doesn't push him- or herself too far...



Curse of Strahd for 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons, made by Wizards of the Coast, have been a huge hit so far with the D&D community. It is classified as a Fantasy Horror game, and one I highly recommend.



A zombie survival tabletop role playing game, from publisher Hunters Books. It presents itself as a "Zombie Survival Simulation RPG" on the website. I haven't tried this one myself, but it looks interesting and the few bits I have heard about it seems promising.



Are you a fan of movies such as Friday 13th, Halloween, and other such "slasher" movies? If so, then this tabletop role playing game from Spectrum Games might be what you are looking for.



Tabletop roleplaying game from Alligator Alley Entertainment, according to DrivethruRPG. I have unfortunately not been able to find an official website for the game, so the link leads directly to the DrivethruRPG webpage for it. I haven't looked at the second edition myself yet, but the first edition seem interesting. If you enjoy hunting demons and other things in the late 1600's (the first game is set in 1689, I think it was), then this is a game for you. It labels itself as a horror game, which is why it is on this list.


The links I have posted for these games go to the developer's website, with the exception of Witch Hunter where I couldn't find one. That one instead links to DriveThruRPG.

I know that Halloween isn't quite here for another week or so, but I wanted to compile this list in advance to give people a chance to look up these games in their own time and possibly decide on one they would like to play for Halloween with their friends.

See you all next time!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar